WATERCOLOR HAND LETTERING...4 pointers I remember when using watercolors

10:00 AM


Ballet and watercolor are a marvelous pair. Both are fluent, elegant, and art.
Both are colorful. Both take talent to perfect.

My watercolor style often verges 'water-doodling'...but, yours will be whatever comes out of you.

When I touch the paintbrush, here's 4 things I'm going for.


#1 Simplicity and aesthetics 

Create an untouched, peaceful backdrop complimented by what appears to be 'effortless' art displayed in center. I like to shade, shadow, and go over when I've already done my first lines (and the black paint has turned a lighter gray) to add definition as well as character. A mistake can be more easily fixed this way as well...
......and can be made *shrugs* *cries* *falls over*.


#2 Adventurous letters

I like lettering. Lettering is not always my thing. It's easily messed up, and I don't like doing it sometimes because I can't keep a word straight
How people used to write without lined paper....*shiver*.
However, the transparency and fluent beauty of words painted in watercolor has got to be tried out. I'm definitely not an expert at this, but, after I paint them (and they are still wet) I sometimes go through with the same color and dab it on edges to create an even more texturey, pintresty, artsy look.


#3 Playing with color

So...I mentioned this in my last post, about color having THE WORLD TO DO with this style of painting. Not necessarily color in general, but the way you play with it. The ballerina above (wearing pointe shoes *cringe*) is shades of all different blacks and gray tones. I left her colorless, and then used a dark blue color to emphasize the George Balanchine quote. This way, our main focus is both the dancer and the letters. 
The letters being bold blue, and the dancer's pose demanding attention = nothing missed by viewer.
And the dancer is just more romantic in black and white. 


#4 Go with Mistakes


*whispers*...here's a secret. I painted the top leg first (the one in the scorpion) and it came out dis-proportioned with the lower one. So I made the knee fatter---you can see my flaws *cry* *cringe*. And the proportions turned out right.
Granted, I do not favor this odd knee...no. But the painting was not a complete mistake, and I sort of "closed the wound" to make it view able.
Lesson?
DON'T ALWAYS GIVE UP ON MISTAKES.

I painted this in less than a half an hour for my dance teacher on teacher's day! I was so happy with the way it turned out...and apparently other people were because I may have my first watercolor job.

5 of your art pointers?

Have you tried pointe shoes?

How did you show your teacher appreciation?

You Might Also Like

6 Sticky notes

  1. Omigoodness YOU SHOULD OPEN AN ETSY SHOP. Like, seriously I would buy that and frame it if I could <3 you are amazing at art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH THANK YOU YOU ARE TOO NICE xD goin' an' making my day like that ;P
      Awww girl too much thannnnnk yoooooouuuu <333333
      -Michaila

      Delete
  2. THIS PICTURE IS SO PRETTY <333333 I love this so much!

    Ellie
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU ELLIE!!! <3333 it's one of my personal faves too ;)
      -Michaila

      Delete

Have you been to Europe?

Thank you for your beautiful comments (I respond) <3333